The 6th First Feature Film Initiative is now open for application. Deadline is 6:00 pm, 15 August 2019 (Thursday).
Create Hong Kong (CreateHK) of the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau first launched the First Feature Film Initiative (FFFI) on a pilot basis in March 2013 to identify new talents through a competition on screenplay and production proposals. FFFI is supported by the Film Development Council (FDC) and funding is made available from the Film Development Fund (FDF) for the winning new directors and their film production teams to make their first feature films1. The scheme is now a regular subsidy scheme to be opened for applications every year.
The aim of the FFFI is to support new directors and their film production teams to make their first feature films on a commercial basis in order to nurture talents for the film industry.
The 6th First Feature Film Initiative
- FFFI takes the form of a competition. The competition is divided into the Higher Education Institution Group (HEIG) and the Professional Group (PG), each with a maximum of three prizes. The winning teams of the HEIG and the PG will be awarded a maximum of $5 million and $8 million respectively from the FDF to make their first feature films.
- The winning teams are required to complete the whole film production and sales process, involving planning, shooting and distribution, and acquire in the process practical knowledge in planning and making a feature film.
- Each participating team is required to submit a screenplay and production proposal which shall contain: logline, synopsis, character description, treatment, full script, detailed production plan (including schedule), names of cast and crew members (attaching letters/ statements of intent from the main cast and main film crew members), production budget and marketing forecast.
- Each participating team can only participate in the competition of either the HEIG or the PG, and submit only one application.
Eligibility for Participation
HEIG & PG
- Each participating team shall comprise at least a director, a producer and a scriptwriter. The director and the producer shall not be the same person.
- Each and every director (if more than one director) of a participating team shall not have previously shot2 any commercial film3 with a running time of 80 minutes or longer and shall be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 years or above.
- Each and every producer (if more than one producer) of a participating team shall be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 years or above.
- At least one of the scriptwriters of a participating team shall be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 years or above.
- Apart from the director(s), producer(s) and scriptwriter(s), there shall be at least one Hong Kong permanent resident in each of the following nine positions: leading actor, leading actress, cinematography, action design, art direction, costume design, editing, music scoring/ sound effect and visual effect.
- The director(s) of a participating team in the HEIG shall be a student or graduate of not more than ten years from film/ TV production or similar disciplines of a local or overseas higher education institute or a professional school.
- The producer of a participating team must have participated in the production of at least two films publicly exhibited in Hong Kong4 in the past 20 years5 in the capacity of a presenter (出品人)/ producer (監製) (not including executive producer (執行監製) and associate producer(副監製))/ director/ director of cinematography/ art director (with at least one occasion as a producer) and shall be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 or above.
- To ensure that a participating team possesses reasonable knowledge and skills in film production, a participating team shall be screened and nominated by one of the following local higher education institutions/ or institutions under the Vocational Training Council providing film/ TV production or similar programmes. The number of team(s) to be recommended for participating in the competition by the relevant recommending bodies are as follows:
- The Hong Kong Academy for Performance Arts
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- City University of Hong Kong
- The Open University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Lee Wai Lee)
- Hong Kong Design Institute
- The Savannah College of Art and Design (Hong Kong)
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Chu Hai College of Higher Education
- The director(s) of a participating team in the PG shall be a member of the local film industry who possesses filmmaking or related experience; or who has previously won in local major short film competitions or a film industry member who has returned from overseas.
- The producer(s) of a participating team must have participated in the production of at least two films publicly exhibited in Hong Kong4 in the past 20 years5 in the capacity of a presenter (出品人) or producer (監製) (not including executive producer (執行監製) and associate producer(副監製)) (with at least one occasion as a producer), and shall be a Hong Kong permanent resident aged 18 or above.
- For the PG, a producer can only take up the post of producer (including co-producer) of one participating team in the same edition.
- Quota system does not apply to the PG. Participants of the PG may submit their applications to CreateHK direct.
1A feature film is a fictional narrative. It must be a film or digital film suitable for release in commercial cinemas and is not shorter than 80 minutes in running time. Animation films and documentaries are not covered by FFFI.
2“Shall not have previously shot” means not having shot any commercial film as a director, co-director or executive director.
3“Commercial film” means a fictional narrative that has been publicly exhibited at commercial cinemas.
4“publicly exhibited in Hong Kong” means theatrically released in Hong Kong for at least five shows within 30 consecutive days in commercial cinemas on the member list of the Hong Kong Theatres Association.
5Refer to films publicly exhibited in Hong Kong between 16 August 1999 and 15 August 2019.
- Application Form (Higher Education Institution Group) (PDF Format)
- Application Form (Professional Group) (PDF Format)
- Scheme Summary and Application Guidelines (PDF Format)